Scattered around Stoke are a few remnants of their silent cinema-going past. These buildings date from the early part of the twentieth century, and were once where the populace flocked to see the modern marvels of the moving picture. Time has passed, audiences have dwindled, but some of the buildings have survived, albeit with other uses.
The Royal, located in Manor Street, Fenton was opened on 13th March 1913 and could seat around 700 people. Fitted for sound in 1931, it closed in 1960. The following year it became the “Roberta Bingo and Social Club”, but this too closed later, becoming a warehouse. The building is now home to JMP Windows.